Tuesday, October 26, 2010

So I went to Victoria and dreamed of living on a boat ...

But first I had 3 glorious days in Vancouver, and I did all the things I love to do when in that fine city.

First, I call my friends to see who I can see. This time I spent an afternoon with Joanne Derosiers, who immigrated to Langley from Saskatoon. We've known each other since our firstborns were in diapers (that'd be cloth). Granville galleries, Malaysian food
on Denman ... and much catching up.

I did a little shopping (this is so not like me), ran around the Seawall, and other directions. Vancouver Art Gallery: always a treat.
Shawl: Winners, Downtown $25
Skirt: 2nd-hand store, West End $2
View of the City: Priceless

I went to a broom store, 'cause I like doing things like that.

(Hold the jokes, please).

Then Greg and I took the ferry to Victoria (top deck dining), and rode a public bus (standing room only) into the city.
I met my new mother-in-law (really, really liked her ... super sense of humour) and my new sister in-law and family (ditto), and learned some interesting facts about Gregor's family. ie: His uncle Ron (in Ohio) wrote the lyrics to one of Loretta Lynn's #1 hits, "Happy Birthday," and also penned some other popular country tunes.
Listen up here:

Wilburn Brothers Picking Up The Mail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAi65We8OLQ

Loretta Lynn "Happy Birthday"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlMtn6OmXDg
I got to see the homes Greg grew up in, the schools he attended, and the rink where he got his auspicious (WHL) hockey start. (Of course he was running the bag off me at the time and we really just whizzed past these places, but good to glimpse, and I don't remember a more pleasant 20ker.)


Oh sunny day at the Victoria Inner Harbour. (Chips on the menu ... seals posing for close-ups).
Greg and his mother, Shirley.


The Empress was all decked out in red vines,
and we took a stroll through but didn't stop for
high tea.





Summer colours in fall.

I encouraged Greg to pose with this cowgirl mime. (I'm sure he'll get me back.)




We visited my beloved aunt Mary and uncle Bob --
ever the gracious hosts -- and then, like birds, we flew back to the nest on 93rd Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment