Sunday, March 7, 2010

Edmonton: Getting to know you ... getting to know all about you.

But first: old roses. Glorious how they've weathered.
And they're important to me. Because.


And now: el fin de semana. (the weekend)


This just in: us after a 2.5 hour cycle in Hawreluk Park (picnic included)
and around the
North Saskatchewan River.

We asked a stranger to take our photo (we like doing things like this).





Edmonton, I've learned, has more green space around its river than any other cityin North America, and I'm loving it.

It's like Saskatoon x 30.

But the weekend was about more than activity and landscape.
It was also about family, friends, and art.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Greg's 14 year old son, Eric (he was in the city for a soccer tournament); and spending quality time with Anna, 16, who joined us for a run this morning.

Greg and I attended an opening at the Nina Haggery Community Arts Centre on Friday, and on Saturday I got together with an old friend from Saskatoon, Melanie Mason; we participated in a sketching class (led by artist\teacher Paul Freeman) at the Art Gallery of Alberta.

We tried our hand at sketching Degas' sculptures.

I have no talent for this, but it didn't matter a whit.
What else? Gold rings.
What else? Pancakes at the Strathcona Farmers' Market, and watching a violinist, cellist, and a man on accordion perform.
What else? Swimming (1500m) at O'Leary Pool, but later in the weekend
discovering the Peter Hemingway Pool
(and knowing I'd found my pool home).
What else? Driving with the top down. (oh, my)
What else? Watching "An Innocent Man" (Gerard Butler and Jamie Foxx) and being pleasantly surprised by this Hollywood thriller.
What else? Soccer.

What else? Going to the movie "Shutter Island," and really disliking it.
(Scorcese ... what the hell?)

What else? Greg, as we speak, making Shepherd's Pie
for our ethnic potluck\party next weekend. I'm lucky ... all I need make is Irish Soda Bread (which I make every week anyway),
but I may also salute the Norwegian and German in my blood).
Much, much, much to give thanks for, eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment