Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mazatlan #9 - Just fun.

We're going for a country drive with Juan Jose today -- I'm excited to see a village close to Mazatlan.


Got a whack of exercise yesterday, and the heat knocked the hell out of me. We had two reprieves: we took the stairs down the cliff near us (less than 5 minutes) and splashed around on the shell beach. We are calling this beach "Watch Beach," as the ocean apparently swallowed my watch here.


The other break was the Pacifico Tour. I've long enjoyed Pacifico beer, and it was cool (literally and figuratively) to see how it is made. The Pacifico plant here is the oldest and smallest in Mexico. That said, it employs 480 people (who make between 150 pesos to 400 pesos a day, depending upon their jobs). Employees are aged 18 - 35. They even have a small clinic on site, as there are injuries due to glass exploding, etc.


It takes 22 days to process the beer, and they export Pacifico as far away as Australia (maybe my son's drinking some right now).


Greg and I were the only two on the tour, and after we were welcome to enjoy as many ice cold Pacifico as we desired. The view from the 8th floor of the Pacifico plant is second to none.


Photo below: Greg waits in the ground floor entry for the water delivery guy. They drive buy and you yell "!Agua!" if you need water.


We've seen several lizards like this one, below.



And always, the iguanas. They're even on the street outside our house.


Here I am shifting shells about 10 minutes from home. The waves really crash here, and swimming would be treacherous. Or fatal.






Greg lets the water splash over him.


As do I.


We saw this daredevil near the house a few days ago.






















1 comment:

  1. Shelly I will have a Pacifico tonight just for you!!
    We don't have lizards that big in our yard - but heaps of tiny little geckos. I thought one was drowning yesterday, stuck inside the pool, so I cupped him out of the water and put him on my lap while I read my book. He sat with me for about 45 mins, all the while I was thinking 'oh how great I am that I've just saved this little guys life,... he is so thankful that he will never leave me!' And just as if nothing had happened he sprang back into the pool and swam away. Little Buggers.....

    ReplyDelete