Friday, September 21, 2012

Several things.

I am back in the city, finally all-of-a-piece:
and it feels much better than expected. Urban energy. And a city this size changes rather a lot within a year, so there is newness. Glad to have this fresh perspective. And apples on the tree.

I recently attended the Kaleido Festival on 118th Avenue in my neighbourhood, and the weekend of diverse and non-stop music, dance, art, and spectactle -- ie: zombies and stilt walkers -- made me extremely proud to be a part of this particular community. Read in the paper that 42,000 people attended. Holy.  

While driving home from work (at the radio station) yesterday, it donned on me: life is sweet right now:

*I enjoy my home and work

*I will soon announce an Edmonton launch date \ venue for Listen, Honey

*Red Deer Press has reconfirmed that they are bringing out my next book (an illustrated children's book titled The Moon Watched It All)

*I'm reconnecting with friends and the larger writing community here 

*The Commonwealth Fitness Centre has opened near us. Love it. Thus far I've attended a Zumba class (about 80 people there ... I was five rows back so had a little trouble seeing the leader and thus sometimes botched the choreography, but was impressed by how much I sweat!), and an Abs class ... four days later my abs are still killing me

*the Lasik surgery was a success

*Visited my brother and his wife in High River last weekend (R.I.P. dear Gunner, their 10-year-old white Shepherd I sometimes cared for when they were travelling.)

Kirby and Laurel in 2007
Gunner and Laurel at Greig Lake
Gunner and Jackson enjoy the dock at Greig Lake

*Greg is happy in his new position at McNally Composite High School

 
 *We have enjoyed two picnics (the goal is five before the snow flies): one at Hawrelak Park, and one in Red Deer, where we watched Greg's son Eric compete in a cross-country run with his fellow runners from Medicine Hat High.


Shelley in Red Deer, with omnipresent reading glasses in pocket


Eric (all grown up now!) races in Red Deer


Greg at the race in a T-shirt from his alma mater
 
Also special was my visit with one of my dearest friends (and first serious boyfriend) Robbie Hayashi. We dated for nearly five years, beginning when I was fourteen.  

Rob in Red Deer

 *Greg and I are on the waiting list for an adult continuing education class that sounds like the epitome of fun:
 
"Co-ed Healthy Active Living Evenings:
 
If you love trying new things, meeting new people and have an adventurous spirit, here is your chance to try a new and unique sport or activity each week. Past activities include paddleboarding, indoor rock climbing, snowshoeing, speed skating, hula hooping, lacrosse, boxing and more. The most exciting part is that you don't know which activity you are participatinig in until you arrive each Wednesday night! Every activity is geared to the complete beginner, no experience is necessary and you do not have to have the fitness level of an athlete to participate. The co-ordinator will let you know in advance how to dress and what to bring, but everything else is a surprise. Men and women welcome!"
 

 
Fingers crossed we get in. This starts next week!
 
  
* We have won meat (pork schnitzel!) at the Norwood Legion (the REAL reason Greg is so happy about being back in Edmonton ;) )
 
* I have been playing guitar and singing with Anna again, and last night had four of my favourite Edmonton writer friends over for wine and song
 
Bottom from left: Kath, Astrid, Anna
Top from left: Rita (celebrating a profound book sale in Brazil) and Shelley 
 
 
*I have finally gone over to the dark side and joined the 21st century: I bought a Samsung Galaxy 3. Even after one Telus training session, it completely baffles me. Trying to learn this technology (at this age) is like being dropped in the middle of Belarus and being expected to immediately speak and comprehend the language. Oy!
 
 
*And last and probably least: NEW BOOTS!
 
I'll be taking these babies with me to Europe next summer.
  
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment