Saturday, April 4, 2009

Fundacion Valparaiso


This is my writing area at FV ... my bedroom is behind, and my large patio is through the sunny door.
Part of my patio, and the view up toward the town.
The director surprised me with a birthday cake on April 2nd. There are only 7 writers\artists here, and 3 of us have birthdays in April. Bring on the cakes!

This is at the top of Mojacar Pueblo, in Plaz Nueva. There are loads of restaurants and bars here. Driving is almost impossible because of the twisting streets. The view is stunning from this point.
The original olive mill part of Fundacion Valpraiso. So cool.
This is what one sees when leaving th FV site. Again, town up on the mountain.
The landing outside my room at FV. There's art everywhere here ... inside and out.
Part of the library at FV. This is a very large retreat, like a luxury home with adobe walls and stone floors. Almond trees and nuermous types of flowers, cacti, etc. surround it. One thing I really appreciate about FV is that unlike other retreat centres -- which ask that you stick around and concentrate soley on your work -- here they actually encourage us to explore the beaches, towns, and cities.
This is (a small section of) the front of FV. When I walk to town, I pass numerous lemon and orange groves ... branches are heavy with fruit. The lemons, the lemons ...
The dining area at FV. All the artists have dinner together at 8:30 pm or so, and wine (supplied by FV) before. We can come and go for breakfast and lunch, with food supplied.
Where we sometimes drink wine and have snacks before eating.
The courtyard at FV. Often fills with sunlight.
The cacti is explosive.
My sleeping area.
Love this FV outdoor patio, which looks out to La Vieja, the mountain the old town was originally built upon. I climbed that mountain this morning, serenaded by local horses, and accompanied by rabbits.

I could write so much about this, but no tengo tiempo. (no time) I am very grateful for the opportunity to be here. It's glorious: the people, the facility, the landscape, the meals (last night we had squid in its own ink ... black). It's a 20 minute walk up a mountain to town and the internet cafes. The Sierra Madres are blue in the distance, and the ocean's a 10 minute bus ride away. All the buildings are whitewashed and the lanes are narrow and winding.

If I can possibly swing in it, I'd like to rent a place here next year ...

Hasta tarde.

No comments:

Post a Comment